(PDF for complete The Social Media Reader which includes Rosen, O’Reilly, and boyd)
Jay Rosen. “The People Formerly Known as the Audience” in The Social Media Reader. Michael Mandiberg, ed. New York: New York University Press, 2012.
Tim O’Reilly. “What Is Web 2.0? Design Patterns and Business Models for the Next Generation of Software” in The Social Media Reader. Michael Mandiberg, ed. New York: New York University Press, 2012.
danah boyd. “Participating in the Always-On Lifestyle” in The Social Media Reader. Michael Mandiberg, ed. New York: New York University Press, 2012.
Robinson Meyer. “The Decay of Twitter.” The Atlantic, November 2, 2015.
Bonnie Stewart. “Academic Influence on Twitter: The Findings.” the theoryblog.
Bonnie Stewart. “Something Is Rotten in the State of…Twitter.” the theoryblog.
Social Media Storify Jam
This assignment is to test entry level query and recording of topic-based information across a number of social media platforms. Rather than a deep data scrape that would be able to utilize Twitter APIs and Python scripts, we are going to perform this query with readily available coding-free platforms to see what kind of experience one can have doing research in the nascent systems of social media.
Please do the following:
- Choose a topic to follow across social media for a week. This topic can be related to your semester project, but in this instancenI would pick something broad in scope and near the top of the current zeitgeist to get adequate information. World events, popular culture stories, active movements, and long standing internet memes and conversations would fit in this scope.
- Create an account at Storify
- Search for your topic on at least three of the following social media platforms. (The more the better and you may want to choose your platforms based on your content.) Remember to vary your search parameters and search using hashtags as well as regular text.
- While searching, use Storify to bookmark and gather the relevant material.
- Edit your Storify
- Be prepared to present your Storify and findings in class